Being around pets in our dog walking/running business all day, we at Dogs Love Running! have noticed something that pets do that we’ve tried to copy in an effort to help us be happier. Let me explain ….
When was the last time your dog or cat really wanted something from you? I’m betting it wasn’t that long ago, and I’m pretty sure they begged and pleaded and made noise and tried all different types of ways to get your attention, didn’t they?
And when they did all that, what was the result?
They got what they wanted, didn’t they? Of course they did!
And that’s because dogs and cats are excellent salespeople and we can all learn something from this behavior to help make our lives better.
Lots of people are often reluctant to ask for what they want out of life. Sometimes, because they’re too shy, too busy, don’t feel they deserve it, don’t know how to ask, don’t want to ruffle feathers or aren’t persistent enough.
- They ask for the sale. Your dog makes it crystal clear exactly what he wants and when he wants it.
- They don’t take “no” for an answer. No matter how many times you say “no,” they just keep asking. Sometimes it’s in a polite way and sometimes it’s pretty blunt. They try different methods until something works.
- They’re not annoying because they don’t whine. Ok, so some dogs might bark a bunch to get their way, but often pets just sit in silence looking at what they want. They know that if they’re not totally annoying, there’s a good chance you’ll develop sympathy for them.
- They will wait forever. If your dog or cat wants something, that’s all they think about. And they’ll wait and wait and wait for it. They don’t give up.
- They try different tactics until something works. Your pet has you figured out and you know it. That’s because they’ve tried a bunch of different tactics to get their way until, finally, something worked. And they remember to do what works and avoid what doesn’t.
- They show gratitude for you helping them. When you finally let the dog out in the backyard or give him a toy or treat, you know they’re happy. The tail wags, they bark, eat the treat, or otherwise show you that they appreciate your kindness. So, you’re rewarded in a positive manner for giving them what they asked for.
Our pets aren’t shy in trying to get what they want, so why should we be? We can learn a lot from our pets to make our own lives better and to help us feel happier. This is basically how our dog walking franchise came to be. We knew it was a big step to just “go for it” and start our business, but we knew that, just like our pets, we couldn’t be shy about trying.
To get more of what you want, all you have to do is watch your dog and copy his behavior in your own life. So, go on out and ask for what you want. Be patient, kind, persistent, and gracious and then watch as what you ask for falls right into your lap.