While some people love making gifts for people, we love making gifts for our dogs. This year, we have three easy DIY gifts you can make in your spare time.
If you’re looking for something special you can make for your local dog-walking group or to give your friends at the dog park, look no further. These are simple and affordable ways to please any dog or owner.
3 DIY Dog Gift Ideas
1. Soothing Paw Balm Bar
Soothe your dog’s paws with this homemade balm that can be easily applied to your pet’s paws. Those long walks in winter snow take their toll on your dog’s paws, but this homemade balm will help soothe and relax your pets, and keep their paws protected, supple and soft.
- 2 T Coconut Oil
- 2 T Shea Butter
- 2 T Sunflower Oil
- 2T Beeswax
- 5 drops lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil
- 4 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
NOTE: Pup & Pony just released a unique kit with blends designed for dogs and horses. If using these, reduce essential oils to 7 drops total per batch.
- Use a double boiler to melt hard oils and wax.
- When the mixture is completely melted, add sunflower oil and remove from heat.
- Add essential oil blend and immediately pour into silicone paw molds.
- After cooling, remove from mold and package in small bags tied with a ribbon, or a decorative box lined with plastic.
- Apply by smoothing onto paws prior to walks.
2. No-Sew Fleece Dog Bed
Feeling ambitious? This is a great gift for any dog or cat, or any shelter pet! This is also a fantastic project for kids to do over the holiday break.
Here are the directions from Joanne’s Fabric Store.
3. DIY Holiday Dog Spritz
Wet dogs are the norm come winter, but you can make sure your home retains the clean pine scent of the tree or the alluring fragrance of frankincense and myrrh resin.
- 1t Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 2t Glycerin
- 5 drops Lavender essential oils
- 5 drops Frankincense essential oils
- Distilled Water
- Add fractionated coconut oil, glycerin and essential oils to clean 8-oz bottle
- Top off with distilled water.
- Shake well.
What will you be making for your dog this holiday season? Show us a photo in our Facebook group.