The past few months have resulted in some big changes around the world. As Coronavirus (COVID-19) spreads like wildfire around the world, we’ve been forced to shelter in place, stay in our homes and practice social distancing. For many, their dogs are their saving grace – as without their pets, they would be truly isolated.
That’s why we thought we should check out some fun ways you can keep your dog entertained at home – in a socially responsible and eco-conscious way.
Choose a leash that fits comfortably in your hand and can be measured in increments so you and your pet can maintain a minimum of 6-feet between strangers. We love the Mendota rope leashes and their 15’ and 30’ check cords. They are perfect for training!
2. Treat you and your dog to a spa day. We know the spas are closed, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the benefits!
3. Explore some new products that keep your dog safe, but also help protect the earth. These might include:
- Biodegradable towels for dog walks: Lightweight
insta-towels are ideal for carrying on walks! These insta-towels from AZ Soapworks are hydrated with just a tablespoon of water and are ideal for washing off muddy paws, dog duty pickup, or just giving your best friend a quick rundown before entering the house. Don’t forget to check out:
- Use Biodegradable Doggy Bags: Clean up after your pets – it’s our responsibility as pet parents. These green clean doggy bags are leakproof, earth-friendly and very easy to carry.
- Choose sustainable dog treats and dog food. Our dogs love the cricket-protein treats (Jiminy Cricket) and tasty treats from pollock skins and crawdads with an alligator. Nutria is another form of protein that pets are learning to love. Do some research on novel proteins that help your pet maintain great health, but still support the earth.
- Recycled materials for dog toys. These days, dog toys are made from everything – including recycled bicycles, repurposed tires and hemp. Hemp makes a great option because as the toy is destroyed, it is absorbed back into the ground and decomposes. Choose these toys – they are long-lasting and so much better for the earth!
- Show the love. Commit to working solely with vendors who believe in protecting the earth. Don’t forget to share their practices with friends and family! Many of these small businesses have a tough time competing with large companies, so they are very appreciative of the help.
DOGTV: Don’t forget to leave DOGTV on all day! Not only does it help keep your dogs calm and relaxed during their afternoon naps, you’ll discover that you also gain benefits when stress is at an all-time high. AND it’s FREE for a 7-day trial.
No matter what you choose to do during this long “shelter in place” order, make sure you include your pets. Remember, we’ll all get through this with patience, time and of course – our dogs.