Are you looking for a creative way to carve pumpkins this Halloween? We’ve got you covered with a free template for pumpkin carving doggy style.
There are thousands of ways to carve pumpkins from classic jack-o-lantern style to elaborate castles. But for the dog-centric family, it’s best to stay with the basics. Stencils make it easy to carve out a silhouette of your dog. Best of all, you can add your pet’s unique ears or unusual whiskers to customize your pumpkin!
Pumpkin Carving For Dog Lovers
Here’s how to do this project:
- Hollow out your pumpkin, cleaning out seeds and scraping the insides.
- Download the DOGTV stencil.
- Print the DOGTV stencil on regular 8.5 x 11” paper
- Tape onto the outside of your pumpkin
- Use a sharp wooden or metal kabob to punch holes that follow the lines on the paper. Pay attention to the areas where it says “shave” or “cut”.
- Use a carving set or sharp knife to follow the outlines. If your paper falls off, just follow the holes you’ve punched.
When your pumpkin is cleaned and carved, set a flameless LED tea light inside the pumpkin. These are much safer than candles – especially if you have pets!
Keep Pumpkins Indoors
Wildlife considers pumpkins a fabulous Fall treat, so it’s best to keep Halloween decor indoors.
This is especially true if you live in the Southwest as rattlesnakes like to crawl inside pumpkins for a warm place to rest, and javelinas (wild boar) enjoy eating them. That can be dangerous for you and your family!
Pick up an extra pumpkin for eating! Pumpkin offers lots of great benefits to dogs. Not only is it full of vitamins and fiber, it can help decrease digestive problems. Try to avoid feeding more than a teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight. If you feed a little more, it won’t hurt them.
If you’re ready for something different this Howl-o-ween, these dog and cat templates are just the ticket! Learn some fun ways to keep your pets entertained on this holiday at DOGTV and download your free templates here: