I hope you had a beautiful March weekend!
Today’s special guest blogger is Sloan McKinney – a Writer, journalist – and a Pet Enthusiast. Sloan has got some really important things to tell us all about pets, food, and how to make sure your dog is safe and healthy at home (don’t miss the beautiful info-graphic at the bottom of the post).
Our dogs are like our kids. They’re our fur babies, and look to us to care for them, play with them, and love them. They don’t know any better, and that’s why it’s important for dog owners to protect their pets from potentially dangerous foods.
There are several foods that are poisonous to dogs. Some of these are common sense, and others may be a surprise. As a rule, you should never let your dog have people food unless a veterinary professional has determined beforehand that your dog will not react adversely.
There are several food items in particular that we eat on a regular basis, which our pooches can’t: this includes garlic, onions, grapes and raisins, chocolate, caffeine, and bones. Garlic and onions are known to cause illness in both dogs and cats, while chocolate is marked for its high toxicity levels according to how much cocoa is present in the confection. Bones from chickens or other animals, while tasty to your dog, may pose a choking hazard and should not be given as treats since they could cause an obstruction or even a puncture wound in the intestinal tract.
Pharmaceuticals, both for humans and animals, should be kept out of reach from the family dog, as he could easily eat small pills that could have big consequences. Finally, anything like candy, gum, or dessert left out can pose a tempting threat to your pup.
Be wary of any household chemicals when you have pets as well. Chemicals in the form of pellets or grains for pests like rats can also attract the attention of your dog. Though poison meant for smaller mammals may not kill your dog if you have a larger breed, it will be enough to cause sickness. Insecticides, too, can get in your pup’s eyes, mouth, nose, or throat and make him very ill. If you must use a rodent killer or lawn pesticide, be sure to keep your dog away from the items during treatment, as he could either accidentally or on purpose ingest some of the poison. Finally, all household cleaners should be kept in a safe space, as they can harm your dog as well. Be sure to clean up residue from cleaners during use, as your dog lives on the floor and chemicals could reach his eyes or bedding.
Some houseplants when ingested can pose a threat to your animal as well. Though you may not think your dog or cat would be interested in your floral arrangement, you’d be surprised what animals might do either when you’re not around or even in front of your face. Be wary of plants such as lilies, azaleas, coca plants, and sago palms.
In general, it’s a good idea to keep your home clean when living with an animal. Dogs especially will eat off of plates left out, or an open garbage container. The garbage can is often a catch-all for a lot of the items previously mentioned in this article. If your dog is particularly nosey, then it’s very important to store trash in a place where your dog can’t get to it until the time comes to dispose of it properly.
Just like small children, dogs get into things that they aren’t supposed to. Whether they’re bored, curious, or just hungry, your dogs may become curious about items, which usually means they try to eat them. Knowing what foods are toxic to your pets is the first step in guarding them from accidental exposure. See the infographic below on what to look for if you think your pet may have ingested a toxic food or item.